2014 was a great year for Driftless on the Fly, and thanks to many of you we see continued growth as a business and interest in fly fishing the driftless region. This is a “look back” and a “look forward” that is a few months over due!
Looking back at 2014:
In 2014, Jared spent the summer season guiding at an outpost camp for Bristol Bay Lodge in Alaska. The stories and pictures that he has from that experience alone are simply incredible. Booking a trip with him would be a day filled with amazing tales and guided fishing from an experienced angler and guide. This was his 3rd out of state guiding employment (Grand Lake Stream Maine, West Yellowstone, Montana). Jared also continues to tie professionally.
Ryan again guided our late spring, summer and fall season and had a great time with some terrific individuals, friends, and families. We added Amanda, Ryan’s wife, to our guide staff this summer. She is an accomplished fly angler and is looking forward to the opportunity to guide more in the future.
A few things we’re proud to highlight in 2015:
- We worked with NIACC college again to offer a Fly Fishing 101 in fall of 2014. We had a great group of gentlemen to work with. We spent two night learning knots, casts, and equipment, and another night on the stream fishing. We’re hosting another class in April of this year. If you’re in the area and are interested- or know someone who is, contact Cathy Simon at NIACC (firstname.lastname@example.org) to sign up!
- This March 18th, we’ll be hosting an “Intro to Fly Tying” at Rustic Corner in Charles City, Iowa. We’ll take you through basic set-up, materials, techniques and help you learn some patterns you can use on the stream or river! Cost is $10. Contact us at email@example.com to sign up! Class is limited- you can also sign up here.
- In addition to some great Driftless on the Fly Simms Fishing trucker hats (new great price- see store!) and stickers, we are now offering flies through our website. We have personally selected these flies for use in the Iowa driftless region, and would be happy to help choose what might best suit your next trip. Check out the Driftless on the Fly store at www.driftlessonthefly.com.
- We’re working on new stickers for 2015! Stay tuned.
- Additionally, we’ve had a lot of requests for gift certificates over this past holiday season, so we are happy announce the availability of those for guided trips. This was our #1 seller over the winter! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
2015 has all the markings of a great year to come. We’re looking forward to showing you around the Iowa #driftless!