2015 was a great year for Driftless on the Fly, and thanks to many of you we see continued growth as a business and interest in fly fishing the driftless region. Jared and I often comment how we have the best clients: just simply great people who make trips fun. We were blessed to add to that list of clients this year and get the chance to work with many repeat clients as well. We’re looking forward to 2016 and all that it has in store for fly fishing in Iowa.
Looking back at 2015:
Jared spent his second summer season guiding at an outpost camp for Bristol Bay Lodge in Alaska. The stories and photos he brings back from each experience are just incredible. This was his 3rd out of state guiding employment (Grand Lake Stream, Maine, West Yellowstone, Montana). Jared also continues to tie professionally. This December, he started guiding in Chile for Martin Pescador Lodge, and will be there through late March before returning to Iowa for a few months, then again to Alaska.
Ryan guided our winter, late spring, summer and fall seasons and had a great time with some terrific individuals, friends, and families. We had just a great mix of rain of sun this summer to provide for one of the best summers of fishing in recent memory. Summer and fall were BUSY. We love it!
A few things we’re proud to highlight in 2015:
- We co-sponsored the Fly Fishing Film Tour with the Trout Unlimited North Bear Chapter in November of 2015. This was the first time this event came to Iowa. We felt for the first time, it was a great crowd and a real fun night. Can’t beat great people, craft beer, and fly fishing movies.
- We worked with Hartman Reserve in Cedar Falls in September to host an “Intro to Fly Fishing” Course last fall. We had a great time with this course and are always interested in putting a session like this together for groups.
- Last March we hosted an “Intro to Fly Tying” at Rustic Corner in Charles City, Iowa. We had 9 participants sign up and had a great evening of tying and learning.
- We were featured in the Farm Bureau “Family Living” magazine. Writer/photographer Gary Frandel did a great job on the article and we had fun hanging out on the stream for an afternoon with him. Check out this blog post to read.
- Our store has grown this year. We carry hats, stickers, Tacky fly boxes, and flies! We have personally selected these flies for use in the Iowa driftless region, and would be happy to help choose what might best suit your next trip. Check out the Driftless on the Fly store at www.driftlessonthefly.com.
- Additionally, we’ve had a lot of requests for gift certificates over this past holiday season, so we are happy announce the availability of those for guided trips. This was our #1 seller over the winter! Contact us at email@example.com for details.
We’re grateful for the opportunity to showcase what the Iowa driftless has to offer. We appreciate the efforts of the Iowa DNR, conservation groups like Trout Unlimited chapters, NRCS, county conservation, and what Allamakee and Winneshiek County Protectors have done to preserve and maintain our fishery. Thanks to landowners for the opportunity to fish. We know this is a partnership and we couldn’t do what we love without us all working together.
Have a great holiday from Driftless on the Fly